Wednesday 25 January 2012

W.E. - worst film in recent memory?

I think, with my slightly wonky 'film critic' hat on, that Madonna definitely needs to stick to dancing inappropriately in inappropriate clothes, because her directing skills stink. I'm not trying to be a film critic here, but I just have to get this nasty film out of my system by spewing it all over my blog. Then maybe I'll be able to sleep comfortably tonight. So, spoiler alert!!
     Today I went to see WE at the cinema. I liked the idea of the story, but was slightly anxious about the film being directed by Madonna. However, if I had known how horrible this film was going to be I would have bitten the bullet and gone to watch War Horse instead (a film about a horse in the war ... well, maybe not!). The main problem I had with the film was that there seemed to be 2 main characters - Wallis in the 1930s and a random woman, Wally, living in New York in 1998. The scenes alternated between these 2 women throughout the film, suggesting that they were living parallel lives, but actually doing nothing of the sort. In fact, Wally didn't seem to be living much of a life at all except to spend every day going all Walter Mitty at a WE exhibition at Sotheby's. I actually found her behaviour quite embarrassing, finding myself annoyingly rolling my eyes and sniggering throughout. I'm guessing that Madonna was trying to be clever and felt that she couldn't just tell a story, making the most of the great actors, settings and costumes. I can understand that need to create something unique; as a novice writer I often find myself getting tangled up in increasingly complex plots for stories, before finally accepting the fact that I need to attack most of what I have produced with a large pair of scissors. Unfortunately, it seems that Madonna never reached this acceptance stage before the film was released. Or, more likely, nobody was brave enough to tell her that the film was crap and needed sorting out.
     To add to the misery (only slightly alleviated by a coffee, 2 cheese croissants, a jumbo bag of jumbo milky way buttons and 3 walnut whips), the camera work definitely made me feel nauseous (it really was the camera work, not my little snack!). There were shaky shots, too-close-up shots and scenes where the camera flicked all over the place. Often the shot would focus on some innocuous object, such as a set of keys or a glass, for no reason whatsoever. And long gaps in the dialogue that you usually see in classic novel adaptations. Overall I think that Madge has simply watched a few art house / Roman Polanski films with a bit of Jane Austen chucked in and tried to force a simple love story into a framework that it simply doesn't fit. The ending was particularly lame, with a pregnancy and the hint that they would all live Happily Ever After.
     If you get the chance to watch this film, please don't. And if you've already seen it I'd love to know if you felt the same way I did. 2 hours that I'll never get back. And indigestion.

No comments:

Post a Comment