Monday 23 January 2012

I love my library

I'm feeling really pleased with myself right now. I managed to get the first 2 volumes of the Bloodaxe trilogy, Stephen Fry's 'The Ode Less Travelled' and 'Teach Yourself Writing Poetry' (at a worryingly late stage of the course) from my local library today. As the website suggests there is only one copy of each available, I'm wondering what the other local students on my course are reading. Not these books, anyway. Sorry - if you're not fast, you're last!
     Another reason to feel pleased is that I actually managed to spend time in the library, walking past multitudes of lovely books, and not take anything out, other than these course books. That's like an alcoholic walking into a bar and ordering a lemonade. Or a gambler going to the bookies to borrow a pencil. Well, you get the picture. I even picked a few novels off the shelves just to look at and admire. But I was strong and managed to resist. It helped that there was a nagging voice in my head (belonging to my husband) telling me to 'read those bloody books in the cupboard so we can clear it out and make way for work stuff.' I know, the message being to stop buying and borrowing books when there are piles of unread ones cluttering up the house. And I just end up stressing myself out with loads of stuff waiting to be read (library books reaching their return-by dates), OU work to be done, films on the v+ box to watch and the usual housework/shopping/laundry. So, now I'm going to focus on the poetry (in and around my current read, of course) and try to give some constructive feedback to fellow students on the forum.

     Something that makes me want to SCREAM is the length of waiting lists for the newest shite bestsellers in the library. The lady in front of me in the queue wanted to take out a Clive Cussler and a James Pattinson (I think ...) and was told there were 21 people in the waiting list ahead of her. Almost 2 years to wait for that pap, whilst the shelves are filled with amazing reads that no one ever takes out. I was mainly tempted today by Don Delillo's Americana and a recent book of short stories by Joyce Carol Oates. Yet both of these books had only 1 date stamp each. That just makes me want to cry, and then take them out, just to make them look more popular. Just as all the people in your Facebook network who have 1ooo's of friends are usually the most boring people in real life (that is, if they have one ...), the books in the library with the most stamps you can bet are the ones that will make you want to despair at the sheer waste of words and paper. Speaking of which, I must get back to this alliterative poetry (I'm writing a poem about my vacuum cleaner. Can you believe how boring my life is - don't be fooled by the fact that I only have 70 Facebook friends!!).

No comments:

Post a Comment